Sunday, July 28, 2013

[Product Review] Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Stingray

Hey Beautifuls!
Today’s review is for Stila Cosmetic’s Smudge Stick Waterproof Eyeliner in Stingray. Now a while ago I stated I will no longer buy Urban Decay products, because I believe there no longer a trusted company. I will used the products I have from them, but won’t go back and buy anything from them ever. I hope to stand my ground on this. However one of my favorite products from Urban Decay was there 24/7 Glide on Eye Pencil in Zero and I was hoping to replace that with the Stila Smudge Stick Eyeliner. I heard so many good things of this product and hardly any bad things.
Description from STILACOSMETICS.COM: Obsessed with Smudge Pots? You'll go crazy for Smudge Sticks! This highly pigmented, waterproof eye liner glides on to deliver intense, vibrant color with staying power. 
These easy-to-apply eye liners have it all:
Long Lasting
Waterproof
Easy to apply
Several shimmer-intense shades to make eyes stand out
Vibrant colors
Propel pencil
Suggested Usage:
Apply this innovative, flexible formula to your upper and lower lash lines, or use your fingers to smudge into a shadow.
Once it sets, the soft, modern finish won't move or crease.
No sharpener necessary, simply twist and apply the instant color-release formula for fuss-free, fade-proof pigment.
Ingredintes: Isododecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Peg/Ppg-19/19 Dimethicone, Synthetic Wax, Hydrogenated Polydicyclopentadiene, Nylon-12, C20-40 Alcohols, Perfluorononyl Dimethicone, Silica, Calcium Aluminum Borosilicate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Polyglyceryl-4 Diisostearate/Polyhydroxystearate/Sebacate, Polyethylene, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Tocopherol, May Contain (+/-) Mica, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499), Bronze Powder (Ci 77400), Ferric Ferrocyanide (Ci 77510), Chromium Oxide Greens (Ci 77288), Aluminum Powder (Ci 77000) .
Price: $20.00 USD

My Opinion/Review: I originally tested this product in Sephora. I swatch it on the back of my hand and went shopping for a couple hours with the hubby. When we got done shopping I went ahead and tried to rub the swatch off and tried rinsing it off with water. The outcome was unbelievable, it did not budge. So you bet I went back to Sephora and snatched it up!
Appearance and Packaging?
I love the packaging on theses babies! The packaging color corresponds with that actual product color. So if you got a bunch of these pencils, you can easily find the color you’re looking for. I have Stingray thus the packaging color is black. 
The sleek black and sliver writing goes well with one another, I just adore it. So far I haven’t had a problem with the writing on the packaging fading or flaking off. I also like it’s a retractable product, just twist it out and save you the hassle of sharpening it. 
Although there is a con to that; you are not able to get that sharp crisp line. It can be a bother when trying to achieve that cat liner look.
Color, Pigmentation, Finish?
Stingray is a rich black. The pigmentation is quite opaque which, I know is a must to have a true black in your makeup arsenal. In addition the finish of Stingray is a matte.
Besides the shade I have now, Stingray, there are ten more available shades: Stargazer (Black with Gold and Silver Pearl), Lionfish (Brown with Shimmer), Blue Ribbon (Navy Grey), Bluefin (Navy Blue with Cobalt Shimmer), Peacock (Cobalt Blue), Damsel (Matte Brown), Triggerfish (Gunmetal with Multipearl), Moray (Golden Olive Shimmer), Purple Tang (Purple with Shimmer), and Tetra (Deep Purple with Plum Shimmer)
Formula and Texture?
The formulation is soft and creamy with a velvety texture. Many times I find myself applying the liner too hard. I need a lighter touch, because the stick is just so soft. As a result I end up mushing the product.
Fading or Smearing?
Throughout the day I’ve never had a problem with fading. Usually the color is as black as it was when I first applied it. Smearing is what I have a problem with. I originally thought it smeared because I tend to lay the product on thick, consequently it doesn’t fully dry. So I tried a different approach and allowed myself one coat and let it fully dry. That tactic worked, but only a few hours in the day. The main culprit on why I had the smearing problem was due to my oily lids. I’ve used primer and still my lids get oily enough the product starts to break down and smear.
Flaking, Cracking, Fallout?
Don’t you hate it when your liner starts to dry like the Mojave Desert, it cracks then flakes off resulting in fallout. Well, this liner doesn’t do that. It seems to keep that velvety creamy looking texture throughout the day.
Staying Power?
I’m positive this product can last all day but for my oily lids it only last for four hours before I see some unwanted smudging and smearing. If you’re someone with normal to dry lids, I have no doubt this product would be great for you.
Waterproof?
Yes, this liner is certainly waterproof. I ran it on the waterline and watched a sad romance LOL! It stayed in place, even when I patted my eyes with a tissue.
Bottom Line … I had very high expectations for this liner, but unfortunately it just didn’t work out for me like I hoped. The fact that it smudged on me was a definite no, although it does work well on the waterline. So I will definitely use it up. I really hate wasting products especially one with an expensive price tag like this one.
I find this product is best suited for those who have normal to dry lids. Everybody else with oily lids, this liner, you should stay away from.

Color Description & Swatches: Stingray is best described as a matte black.

OVERALL SCORE = ★★★☆☆

Hope You Enjoyed This Entry. Till Next Time!
(^з^)- Dizzy

*********************************************
Instagram: @DeathByDizzy
Pinterest: DeathByDizzy
Beauty Sets: DeathByDizzy
Total Beauty: DeathByDizzy
Beautylish: DeathByDizzy
Makeup Alley: DeathByDizzy
Wanleo: DeathByDizzy
Etsy: DeathByDizzy
*********************************************

34 comments:

  1. Like that it is jet black , but its smudging... So its not for me tooo...
    Nice review, you saved my money...
    m on instagram now, lets follow each other there..
    http://instagram.com/beingbeautifulpooja
    Keep in touch
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh as lon as its waterproof. i'll love it xD

    Invite you to join my giveaway Imomoi giveaway and Efoxcity giveaway I hope you will join

    ~✿~Visit my blogs here~✿~
    www.luchluchcraft.blogspot.com
    www.tokoluchluchcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i definitely want to start practicing putting eyeliner on! i love the way it looks on, but i don't know how to do it. i think i'm gonna have to check this one out. ;)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just practice Mimi, I'm sure you'll be a pro at it in no time.

      Delete
  4. Nice post. Sounds like it's a good product. I've not tried anything from that brand, but i've heard that their palettes are good...i'll have to give that eyeliner a go one day!

    CharlotteHavs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really tried anything from Stila, this is my first product from them. I've heard good things about them, this product was just a bust for me.

      Delete
  5. I think it looks good!
    Thanks for this review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry this product didn't work out for you. I generally like Stila products but haven't tried this one. I hope you find a replace that works great soon.

    Tracy @ www.sunnydaystarrynight.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never tried anything from stilla, I'm curious :)


    WWW.FASHION-BREAKER.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, but I heard good things. That's why I decided to try this product.

      Delete
  8. The color is just beautiful; and I like the fact that it's waterproof {crying jags pop u at the most impromptu moments}.

    Do you use primer on your lids? I've found that my eyeliner {as well as my eyeshadow} lasts all day ever since I started using primer - it's amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL
      I have used primer but I still get some smearing. I'll try a different primer and see how that goes.

      Delete
  9. Acabo de conocer tu blog!! Tienes mucha personalidad y estilo.
    I FOLLOW YOU IN GFC!!! Y me haria mucha ilusion que tu tambien me siguieras.
    muuuuaaks ;D

    http://enjoythelittlethingsblog.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post!!! thank you so much for your visit!! I follow you with GFC and Bloglovin!
    and I added you by g+ too!!! I'm very happy if you do the same.
    Have a wonderful weekend! and my g+ for you!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review really thorough. I can only seem to keep liquid eyeliners on for a few hours without it smudging or fading :( perhaps I'll try a primer as suggested ^.
    http://beautybee22.blogspot.co.uk/ <-- two mini shopping hauls on my new blog if you fancied a look :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh this product looks promising :) I've never tried Stila before but now I want to try this product hehe, love how you tested its waterproof-ness and watched a sad romance xD Great to hear that it stayed in place!~

    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review. This looks like something I would be interested in. Lovely blog.

    I'm your newest GFC follower.

    XO,
    Catherine
    FEST

    ReplyDelete
  14. So great! <3
    I really loved your blog. What do you think about following each other ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic blog, amazind pics!
    Do you wanna follow each other?
    Kisses,

    zabawa-moda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello dear, thanks for your follow, your blog is great too, I´m following you in gcf and bloglovin too, but we should follow in socials like instagram, g+ y twitter, what do you think?
    Let´s stay in touch ok!
    Kisses
    www.petitgraphie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice Blog ! I like the photos a lot !

    hug from Germany

    visit my blog if you like ;)and tell me what you think

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, I missed this for being away. A really great review, thanks for sharing the bad points about the eyeliner as well. And thank you for all the love and support on IG, you rock! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have great Ideas and a interesting blog, i really like it!
    what you think, wanna follow each other?
    I would be happy :-)

    Kiss from Swiss
    schuhRei.ch

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a great review. That's dear.
    Even I have oily lids. Without proper base, my eyeshadows always crease... :(
    Do visit my blog too when u find time! :)
    FASHION PANACHE BLOG
    Google Plus | Bloglovin | Networked Blogs | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  21. It really does have a rich and creamy texture! And it's so opaque! Pity it didn't work out for you. I find that generally pencil eyeliners don't stay or they smudge, so I stick to liquid liners. When I want a smokey eye look, I would use a pencil liner and smudge it with a brush =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It smudged for me too... Even a cheap essence can do a better job

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just wanted to wish you a nice holiday! Im taking a little blog break xoxo

    ReplyDelete