Tuesday, October 26, 2010

[Product Review] Revlon Colorstay Foundation (Normal to Dry Skin)

Description from REVLON.COM: Color Stay Makeup with Soft Flex provides lightweight comfort, so you feel like you’re not wearing makeup. Looks fresh for up to 16 hours. Specially formulated for normal or dry skin, this oil-free, moisture-balanced formula gives you flawless looking skin. Medium to full coverage, with SPF 15 protection.
Expert Tips: Apply to cleansed skin after your daily moisturizer.
Using your fingertips or applicator, blend foundation onto skin, starting in the center of your face, forehead, nose and chin blending outward.
Ingredients: Active Ingredients … Titanium Dioxide (4.4%), Zinc Oxide (2.0%)
Inactive Ingredients … Aqua (Water, Eau), Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Cetyl PEG/GGP 10/1 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl 4 Isostearate, HDI/Trimethol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Nylon 12, Phenyl Trimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Isododecane, Boron Nitride, Methicone, Laureth 7, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Lilium Candidum (Lily) Bulb Extract, Lactobacillus/Eridictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum Flower (Orchid) Extract, Serica (Silk), Tocopherol Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Ethylene Brassylate, Tribehenin, Bisabolol, Silica, Alumina, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain (+/-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (Cl 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163) (Cl 77163), Zinc Oxide (Cl 77947)
Net Weight: 1.0Fl. Oz/Oz. Liq./30 mL
Price: $11.00-$13.00 USD (Price May Vary)


My Opinion/Review: I fell into the hype and I had to get Revlon Colorstay Foundation, and if you’re wondering my shade is 330 Natural tan, this color is a perfect match for me.
I actually used this foundation on my sister and she is about a shade darker than I am, but the colorstay foundation still blended into her natural skin coloring very nicely. It didn’t even look like she was wearing any foundation.
Packaging?
I like the packaging of this product, it looks professional and sleek. The bottle is made out of glass, but it’s a sturdy type of glass. I’m so clumsy I’ve dropped it a few times; thank goodness it didn’t break or crack 8P. The downfall of this packaging is the lack of a pump, I feel it would more easier to get the amount of product out that you want and it would be little more sanitary.

Coverage?
The coverage of this foundation is medium, but you can build it for to a fuller coverage. I like to double up the colorstay foundation under eyes like a concealer, and this method works very well, but you still slightly see the dark circles under my eye (take note that I have pretty dark circles under my eyes, so they tend to be harder to conceal)
Comfortably?
The colorsaty is very comfortable to wear on the face even though it gives a medium to full coverage, and it stays comfortable through out the whole time you have it on.
Staying Power?
I haven’t had this foundation on for the full 16 hours, but the longest I had it on so far is about 10 hours. Even though I would sweat or cry the colorstay foundation held up pretty good, although under my eyes had a little creasing, but it was faintly noticeable to another person.
Cakey?
The colorstay foundation is not cakey at all. You would have to try pretty hard to cake up the foundation. If you have dry flakey skin, that might make your foundation appear cakey. There are 3 ways that I know to help with that dry flakey skin:
Tip #1 --- Exfoliate your skin, by doing this most of your dead skin will be removed. Please note that exfoliating your skin once or twice a week is enough. Exfoliating the skin is good, but over exfoliating can be very very drying and harsh on the skin.
Tip #2 --- Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize! Find a good moisturizer for your skin one for the day, and find a good night cream as well.
Tip #3 --- When you have dry flakey skin the best way to apply foundation is with a cosmetic sponge. Also as your applying the foundation, apply it in a downward or patting motion. Refrain from stroking the sponge upwards or from side to side; if you do, think of it as lifting the flakey skin making your foundation appear cakey.
Other?
I never had or tried a foundation that is specifically targeted for dry, oily, combination, or normal skin.
I got the normal to dry skin, because as the winter season progresses the drier and drier my skin becomes. I was also planning to get the one for combination to oily skin, but the shades look too yellow in the bottle for me to be brave enough to try lol.
…back to what I was saying… the normal to dry skin formula works wonderfully well on the dry areas of my face, and even if I apply it to oily spots the foundation doesn’t seem to be affected by that fact.
Bottom Line …
Overall this is a fabulous foundation to have; they have many shades of your choosing, blends well to your natural skin tone, has a great coverage, not cakey or thick, lightweight, is targeted to normal to dry skin or combination to oily skin, comfortable to wear, and long lasting.
But there are a couple cons to this product one is that it’s quite pricey for a drugstore brand, so if you can wait for a sale, or catch the buy one get one free sale at Walgreens or Rite Aid. 2nd and last is that its really hard to find the right shade for you because you can’t test it out, so bring a friend along to help pick a suited shade for you.

Swatches: Okay I know that the unblended swatch looks umm...well ... funky, but try to ignore that.
 
Do you see the difference the foundation makes? The unblended swatch you can see that I have freckles on the back of my hand, and looking at the blended swatch it covers it very well.

Overall score: ★★★★☆

*********************************************
…CURRENT MUSIC OBSESSION: Cascada – Everytime We Touch
This is an old song, but recent ran into it when I saw a video, now it’s been stuck in my head, and I can’t help but to sing it in the shower lol. I really like the slow version of this song better, but that’s just me 8D.
…Slow Version…
*********************************************
Hope You Enjoyed and found this to be an Informative Entry. Till Next Time!
OX Dizzy
Let me know what you think of this product! Love It Or Hate It?

8 comments:

  1. i used colorstay throughout high school. i loved the coverage and comfort. i dont wear foundatin much anymore but i do have a soft spot for this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Makeup by Yass --- Me too 8)

    @ MayClover --- I agree

    @ kellyyes --- That’s a pretty sweet story about foundation 8)
    LoL I just realized that kinda sounded like a smart ass comment, I’m not trying to make it out that way 8)
    Thank you for stopping by BTW I hope to see you again 8D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried this, but I've heard a lot of good things about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. does this foundation have a dewy or matte finish?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Vintage Makeup = It really good you should try it 8)

    @ Anonymous = Once the foundation has set, it give of a naturally matte finish, depending how oily you can get (for me) at the end of the day it looks sort of glowy looking. FYI in the summer I tend to have combination oily skin, and in the winter combination dry skin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The foundation turns out pretty dewy at the end, but it looks so nice in person! It makes a soft glow. Only, in pictures, it turns out not looking very nice, so if you're taking photos, its probably best to set it.
    If you don't set it, then throughout the day I'm guessing as your skin produces oil, it won't be such a nice glow.

    ReplyDelete